Pages

Monday, October 9, 2023

Turtle Stone Sculpture

     I think the stone sculpture is about ready. While I'm considering more material edits, I'll move on to the mushrooms next so I can continue populating the scene.

 




     There are a few different brushes recommended in the foliage class that I tried out to add a stone look to the sculpture. One of them is Trim Smooth Border. It's a great brush for adding edge damage because it can quickly flatten out any areas that you paint on.

 


     I also tried out a variety of rock brushes to add cracks and overall texture.

        Dannie Carlone Brushes

        Orb Brush Pack

        Paul Tosca Brushes

    Aside from the sculpt, I experimented with using a material mask to texture the sculpture. In the mask, I painted black for normal stone, red for darker stone, and green for moss. One plus of this method is that the textures are tiled, so it's easier to get a high resolution as opposed to a 0-1 map. I could also reuse this material for other stone assets. As mentioned earlier, I still would like to revisit this later to get more variation, but I think it will work for now.




    Finally, one more thing that I experimented with is Nanite. It allowed me to go fairly high poly with the mesh without using too much memory. In this case, I opted to go to around 40,000 triangles with a baked normal map. All the content for the asset took up about 4.4 MB. I also imported a 150,000 triangle mesh which took up 9.6 MB. Since I felt like the former looked about as good as the higher poly one, I went with that.

Nanite visualization.

    Additionally, I used Nanite displacement to add some height to the mossy areas. It took me a little while to figure out. I eventually found that I needed to edit the displacement settings in the details panel. To make sure the moss only pushed the mesh out and didn't go inwards, I set the center to 0.


    Next it's time for the mushrooms. They should be some more good sculpting practice, and hopefully they'll add some interesting variation to the ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment