Pages

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Lighting and Set Dressing Edits

     I've started on some revisions to the foliage scene. So far, I've mainly edited the lighting and worked on some debris meshes to add more height variation to the ground.

 










     I also made a few custom ground materials to better fit the environment that I'm referencing.

 


     To create the ground debris, I used a mix of meshes and a material that I painted under them.

 

Debris atlas sculpt and material.

 
Ground debris meshes.

    Using the atlas that I made, I generated the underlying material in Substance Designer with the Atlas Scatter node.


    In this case, I basically layered multiple Atlas Scatters together. This gave me some control over the layering. For instance, on the lowest layer, I set height scale to .25 to keep it dark on the texture. On the highest layer, I set the height scale to 1 to make it as bright as possible.





    I used a similar technique for the leaves, but this time I only used two layers. To give it some depth, I made the bottom layer less saturated than the top.

 
 


    I think this small showcase scene is almost finished. Next I'm going to make a turtle sculpture and some mushrooms to place by the center tree. After that, I'm going to start on a full forest scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment